DISCLAIMER: Today’s post has absolutely nothing to do with personal finance and only a little to do with the environment. Today’s post is a rant.
This is actually a little embarrassing…yesterday, a squirrel peed on me from up above in a tree. For those of you counting, this is the second time this month that an animal has peed or pooped on me. Earlier this month, a bird took a crap on my shoulder. Yesterday was worse. The pee actually bounced off my shoulder and up onto my face before landing down the front of my jacket. At first I thought it was just water and I couldn’t figure out where it had come from. Then I looked up and saw him staring down at me, with that wily little smirk of his and I put two and two together.
Back in early March, I told you about the dangers of eating microwave popcorn, because of a chemical called PFOA. And earlier this month, I told you that the Government of Canada had declared a chemical called triclosan toxic to the environment. Both of these chemicals are things we come into contact with on a regular basis in our daily lives. To find out just how much we’re affected by these and other household chemicals, authors Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie locked themselves in a chemical-laden apartment for a weekend. They tested themselves before and after the experiment, and the results were published in a terrific book called Slow Death by Rubber Duck: How the Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Life Affects Our Health.
As I said last week, being either frugal or environmentally responsible when it comes to weddings often requires you to challenge the status quo or the established wedding traditions, and food is no exception when it comes to this. In our case, we are challenging the established traditions about as much as possible, but I’ll get to that in a second.